Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

This year I plan on purchasing gator blades for all my mowers. I have never used gator blades before but have heard very good things about them. I know they are supposed to help reduce the size of the clippings and leaves but is that really true? What do you guys think of these blades?
  2. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Gators all the way thats all i ever use. clean-ups, mowing, everything :walking:
  3. Ground Scapes

Ground Scapes LawnSite Member

the blades are awesome. we put them like a x under the deck (so two on each spindle in a X shape). really reduces the size of clippings, but they don't spin quite as fast. Never have used them in spring or summer just leaf season
  4. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

I have always use gator blades. I have never really used hi-lifts. I recommend the Rotary "gator style" blades rather than the Oregon Gator Blades. My personal opinion is the Rotary ones stay sharper longer and leave a better cut, but then again it could be all in my head!:dizzy:

You should be able to get them for about $12-$14 a blade. Anything more than that is too expensive.
  5. mowerbrad

Do the blades actually reduce the size of leaves in the fall?
  6. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

Yes! You normally can fill a bagger with about 3-4 times the amount leaves that you can doing them by hand. Plus somtimes you can just run over the yard without bagging because it chops them up so fine.
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

the gators do really reduce the leaf clippings size. the problem with that is that if your not collecting them, then they are just gonna compact into the turf.

in heavy wet grass, gator blades tend to pulverize the clippings, so if you dont have a good discharging deck then you'll see a lot of clogging or at the very least lots of buildup under the decks.

hi-lift blades have much higher discharge velocity so be ready for that.
  8. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

What mower and size do you want to put them on?
  9. mowerbrad

I'm going to put them on a Bob-Cat 52", maybe my 21" deere, and the 34" Great Dane stander I might get.
  10. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I find that in wet conditions, the gator blades actually create larger clumps. The high-lift blades seem to feather out the clippings more consistently in wet conditions.