Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carv@gte.net, Apr 22, 2002.

1. carv@gte.net

carv@gte.net LawnSite Member

I installed a set of Gator Blades last fall for leaf pickup. Did a great job of mulching the leaves. Left them on this spring and cut about 20 acres of grass and my deck was clogged. I know the grass is lush and most likely full of moisture but this seems fast to clog the deck. Compared the blades to the standard blades and see the lifting area is at a much greater angle, I would think this forces the clippings to the deck much harder making them stick. Considering putting the standard blades back.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    :confused:

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I never cut grass with gators on. They just don't leave a clean cut and often lead to clumping of grass, which in your case stuck to the underside of your deck. I only use them ocassionally in the fall for mulching leaves. I have found that Exmark Mulching blades work best with their mulch kit, if you are running exmark that is.

3. carv@gte.net

carv@gte.net LawnSite Member

Should have included that.

Scag Turf Tiger 61"

4. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I've also had that problem with the gators. I just don't like them their cut the blow out at the front of the deck.Just seemed like a waste of money to me.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running gators for like 3 or 4 years at least and have not looked back since...... Maybe you guys need to sharpen them more often If your unsatisfied with the cut quality... The cut should be the same as standard blades, but better due to increased lift............Maybe its' your machines.... I used them on Scag, lesco , etc, and all have done better with them..The gator magnums hold the edge better too....

6. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've got to agree. i put gators on my hondas and i know i'm not trading those in for anything... if your deck keeps clogging try using mo-deck... that will help the clippings from sticking and building up so fast...

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I only use Gators in the summer and the fall because the grass is dry. I use regular lift blades in the spring because the grass is wet usually and gators donb't throw wet grass that well.