Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Pro's, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Lawn Pro's

Lawn Pro's LawnSite Member

I've been mowing with my RZT 42 and at first the cut was nice. Over a period of time the cut was getting worse and worse even though I was sharping the blades and I discovered that the original blades where so thin they were bending and flexing alot. I bought a pair of Gator Blades and the thickness is more than twice the thickness of the original blades. The cut is like night and day differences. Anyone else out there using Gator blades have the same results?
  2. cylinder3missfire

cylinder3missfire LawnSite Member
    from IL

I love gator blades, You are right about the thickness. The company I used to work for put gators on every grasshopper we had. We had alot of cemetaries, dams, and right of ways we mowed and the gators gave you some extra protection from bending if you hit unseen little stumps or something of that nature. plus they are a higher lift for a little better discharge.
  3. Lawn Pro's

Lawn Pro's LawnSite Member

I'm very impressed with them from what I've mowed with them.
  4. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Gator blades are awesome however I prefer regular blades during summer months then use gators in the fall. Sometimes we do lawns or fist time cuts that are extremely tall. Personally I don’t feel gators do a very good job on lawns like that. They don’t do well in wet grass ether. In the fall time you can not beat a pair of gators on leaf jobs though.
  5. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

High lift Gators is all I use, except during early Spring. For the first time cuts that are tall
    I open up the adjustable baffle on my Toro Grandstand and no problem.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I will NEVER purchase gators again
  7. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Its funny because I have found they work well on scag but horrible on my exmark, always clumps. I Guess its just for different mowers.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for posting,
    I only have 2 exmarks, and they dont do well. rather I was dissatified, and was wondering what all the hoop-la was about.
  9. m&mmowing

m&mmowing LawnSite Member

What do you run on your exmarks?
  10. moose203

moose203 LawnSite Member

i Run factory strait or mulching blades on my exmarks.....they do great for me