Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I tried out gator blades yesturday on my gravely PM 260Z. I loved them i am putting them on all of my other mowers now. I was cutting off about 2 1/2" of grass and you couldn't even tell. Them blades are the best. But my dealer was telling me that the only down fall to these blades are that if the grass is wet the grass will build up really bad is this true?

2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I like you was very impressed with them the first time I tried them but that was around this time of year when it was hot and the growth wasn't as thick as in the Spring. When Spring came around I went back to my high lift singles and haven't put the gators back on yet; just might do that this weekend or try doubles again.

3. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Trick for keeping grass from sticking.....
    PAM cooking spray on fresh clean deck first thing each morning. Using PAM, I only have to scrape deck once a week instead of once each evening. Deck stays pretty clean because the first layer doesn't stick and wears off by the end of the days work. After the first cut it looks like it is going to fill up and stick, just keep cutting. It wears away by 10am..
    Stay Safe
    God Bless

4. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

P.S. I use only Gator blades on both of my Exmarks too.... Best thing since "pocket on a shirt"!@!!!!!

5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using singles or doubles? I love gators with medium lifts in a doubles set up because it throws the grass out like I like it. With only gators on it doesn't disperse the grass out far enough from the mower without still leaving occassional clumps.

6. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Gators work fine when grass is slow growing or dry, cuts it into nothing. Don't work well for me in wet thick grass and don't leave as good of a cut as reg hilifts in my opinon.

7. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Haven't tried doubles yet, but I intend to soon. Just have to order another set, I keep hitting things and ruining blades. I have some ROUGH commercial accounts. I have been told that they work terrific on Gravely 260Zs.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to agree. I took my gators off at the end of Spring. They seemed to tear the lawn more (at least that is what it appeared to me) then cut it. I do have to admit though that they work great for the fall.

9. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

I am using them right now. They really do well on thin stuff (leaves and pulled weeds), but they do not seem to mulch the St. Augustine any more than regular lift blades....maybe it is too heavy??? :confused:

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, I've been using gators for about 5 years now. They shred well, but you need to replace them more frequently in order for them to throw the clippings. I only recommend the "hi-lift" gators too. If grass is tall and wet, gators are not the answer, unless you're willing to double cut it in a crosscut pattern.