Gator Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sword, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Sword

Sword LawnSite Member

I was reading a thread earlier this morning about mulching and bagging leaves, and one comment was to use Gator Blades?

Are Gator Blades really that good??

Do they really cut-down on the amount of clippings??? Which translates into less blowing???

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

they are amazing when it comes to leaves. You have hi-lift gators, regular gators, and magnum gators.

My best advice is to try them out and see for yourself

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gators for leaves is great.... for normal spring/summertime grass cutting i dont like them as much.

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the high-lift/magnums for mulching grass and chews up the leaves to nothing. They are not that great for wet grass IMO.

5. Sword

Sword LawnSite Member

Thanks guys..
    Going to grab some for the next clean-up...

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Realising this is not what you asked, but I thought I'd mention it anyway as something else to think about.

I have been using RAPTOR'S for quite awhile now, get them from sten's corp, do a search here and there are links to where you can buy them.
    They are kinda like a gator, only have a bi level cutting edge, I use for mulching and side discharging, great results! Awesome on leaves!

Worth a look anyway...

7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

when adding the highlift gator. will that leave a nicer stripe then regular gators?

8. tiedeman

from earth

I mostly use the magnum gators. Thicker and last longer. They also hold their edge longer as well

9. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

what about the stripe. the regulars leave a wavy kinda look.

10. tiedeman

from earth

too be honest, I feel the blade doesn't matter when leaving a stripe. Others can disagree with me, but from what I have experienced it doesn't matter