Gator blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pfeiff, Jan 7, 2005.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff LawnSite Member

If i get some gator blades do i have to use them with a mulching kit or can they be used with side discharge? also are they super hard to sharpen? and on last question were can buy some?

thanks

2. rustykelly

rustykelly LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

They sharpen just like regular blades. you do not have to have a mulch kit to use them, however they will work alot better if you do. Any decent commercial mower dealer has some kind of "gator" blade.
    Rusty

3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

They make you go slower, barely discharge, and create clumped grass. Double cut for the same results FASTER.

4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have them. Check out or online store, if you don't see the ones you need give me a call at the store or pm me. www.wacolandscapesupply.com

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Gator Magnums as a general purpose blade i.e mulch and side discharge.

They are a pretty good alrounder imo.

The magnums will side discharge about the same as any stock med sail blade, up to 12ft easy, the magnums have quite a lot of lift compared to similarly designed blades, have a look at the bevel of the pane at the ends, it isn't flat with raised notched sails, it is formed to give good lift, check em out.

Like all mulching blades, moist/wet grass can get messy....

I use the magnums on a Toro Z588E. very good results.

Raptors are also very good, better mulch blade, but magnum has more lift.

6. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Tony on this one. We use Gator magnums on our Toro Z-Master. Make sure you get Oregon Gators, not some other so called Gators. I do not like the Toro Atomic. Travis should have what you need or ask your local dealer to order you a set. We use them all summer.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I run the gator magnums on my standers and they work great. My metro only has regular gators since they don't make magnums for 32" machines.

I use them all year long. Double gators in the fall, Can you say leaf dust?

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the gator type blades from JThomas myself.

9. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Like others above, gator magnums year round, with side discharging--No problems.