Gator Hi-lifts or Gator Magnums???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 28, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, Turfguy33 just informed me that Gator makes Gator Hi-lifts that have the 40% higher lift like the magnums but aren't 25% thicker like the magnums. Should I just get the Gator hi-lifts? What are the advantages of a 25% thicker blade? Thanx z lot!!!
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Magnums have less blade flex for a smoother cut and they also last longer.
  3. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I've used Magnums on my 61" Stander for a couple weeks now and love the cut. The longer the blade, the thicker it needs to be. I think these will hold up to the accidental stump or rock encounter. I raised my deck a 1/4" to compensate for thicker blade and better lift on grass. It still looks like the grass is cutting shorter than with standard gators.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How are you running them? Are you running them with other blades as doubles, or just themselves? I have a set of Magnums that I run on top of a set of solid foil high lifts on the Lazer, but I'll tell you, if I was going to buy another set for this purpose, I would probably settle for just the high lift Gators as they are that much lighter.
  5. Wood Lawn Man

Wood Lawn Man LawnSite Member

M A G N U M S
  6. Vibe Ray

I will be using them on a 44" Lazer Z HP w/ 19 HP Kawi and I will be doubling them up (already have mulch kit installed). Does this change your answers???
  7. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I have both, the gator hi lift and the magnums Vibe Ray.......And both leave an excellent cut, but the magnums hold up better. With the regular hi lift gators, I was pulling them off EVERYDAY, and sometimes every other day to sharpen them, with the magnum's, I usually only sharpen twice, and only sometimes 3 times a week, and even then, you can tell the magnums are getting dull, but not as many dings and nicks in them.
    If you buy Magnums from your dealer, your probably looking in the range of $20 a piece, give or take a buck or two, but if you order from Landscape supply, there like $10 to $12 a piece..........The hi-lifts are close to the same price as the regular gators at the dealer, and I'm uncertain on the price at landscape supply. To answer your question, I would choose the magnums basically because there meant and are marketed for the commercial cutters, they will take the abuse, and give many more cuts out of them over a hi-lift.........Of course, if your considering using it as just the top blade while running doubles, I'm sure it would be fine to just run the regulars hi lifts
  8. exmarkman

exmarkman LawnSite Member

I am also interested in magnum blades. you mentioned landscape supply, do they have a website? if so could someone please post it or any other helpful website to purchase blades.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

10. Vibe Ray

Thanx for the info Turfguy33, I think I'll go with either both magnums or magnums on bottom and hi lifts on top, the problem is that I don't see Gator Magnums for a 44" Lazer Z HP @ Landscaper supply....any suggestions? I am considering buying them from my dealer, just wanna find them on the internet and see the difference in price.