Gator Magnum blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Mar 13, 2002.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a set of gator magnums from the dixie chopper dealer in Nashville today but I didn't think to ask him what the advantage was to having a thicker blade. It seems to me the the standard when kept sharp would zip through the grass easier. They didn't have the standard .204 size so I got these. Anybody know what the advantages here are.
  2. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

Mags have a higher lift. I ordered the Gator High-Lifts which I assume have the same lift as the Mags but are same width as the standards. Don't know why you'd want the Mags over the High-Lifts.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Gator Magnum is .250" vs. .203' for the regular and hi-lift Gator. The advantage to a thicker blade is the thicker blade doesn't flex as much as a standard blade and they last longer.
  4. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I ahve several sets of the Mags. They work great for me, They seem to last lots longer than the standards. I started oput by buying one of each and then decided that I liked the Magnums better. Just my 2 cents
  5. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know they made high lift Gators...that's why. If I would have known that I would have bought them. That's part of the reason I love this forum is that I have learned more here in a very short time than in several years of mowing concerning other manufacturers of equipment, business practices, and better techniques for the job.
    The Gator blade web site doesn't tell you very much except why the concept of the gator works; I guess I will need to ask more questions next time I'm in there. I feel like I am already throwing questions out a mile a minut whenever I'm in there.
    So are there any other types of gators other than regular,magnum, and highlift? By the way mine were $12 a piece.
    Is that a good price for you guys?

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

$12 is a little below what I pay. The steel might be a better grade. I have noticed that they stay very sharp all day, where the old gators dulled down a bit after about 2:00. I like them better than the high lifts because the debris does not get tossed as far.