Gator magnum trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnhenry, May 19, 2002.

1. I finally purchased a roll of this line last week. I have used echo,stihl,husky,shindy, and many others. But I have never used trimmer line like this. It like being compared to cutting with sharp or dull blades. Believe me there is that much of a difference. I mowed and trimmed 7 properties today and barely use any line. I think i hit the bump feed 3 or 4 times and thats unreal for a whole days of work. But the biggest factor is the cut of it. It leaves a superior finish cut. It has no equal . Its a lot heavier than all the others in fact twice as heavy as the echco or stihl line in the same grade. If you ever see this line at your dealer buy yourself a small roll you will be amazed

2. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

What are the dim. of this line? What about the weight and how much can you put on the head??? Does the extra weight slow the head speed down???

3. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I bought a 1 lb. donut of the magnum square line in 105. This is the best trimmer line to date that i have used. The aramid core( otherwise known as Kevlar) seems to keep the line from breaking whenever i hit a hard surface or edge. This stuff lasts at least twice as long as the other lines i have used. I'am very impressed with this line and i will buy lots more of it.:blob2:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a big spool of it last year, and I just don't care for it. I just can't keep a good sharp, crisp, tip edge for some reason. It also feels way too heavy. The line I have is only .095, but it feels much heavier. I just can't run as large of a head diameter with it and have the power as with smaller round line. I still have the big spool, as I know I'll never use it. I have a spool of the Lesco .095 line, now, and it seems to work real well. I think I still prefer good ol' Stihl .095 the best, though.

5. Runner try soaking it in a 5 gallon bucket of water overnight . It brings the poly back into it. You might have a old spool of line.They soak the line before they ship it out. But god only knows how long its has been on the in the store or warehouse. Its a neat trick and will. I usally soak my line once a month .It stops the tearing and splitting

6. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

I would try to soak it also. I have had very good luck with this product and i prefer it to any other brand of trimmer line. I noticed that this line stays intact much longer than the regular stuff. I'am surprised to hear that your expirience was not the same. Maybe a few other people who are members of this site will try some.

7. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

where can you purchase this line?

thanks

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No kidding!? That is wild. In my 20 years of doing this, I have NEVER heard of this! I've heard of string going stale, and getting brittle, but never of soaking it. Thanks, and it just shows to go ya, ya learn somethin' new everyday!:D

9. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

I USE THE GREEN OR YELLOW SQUARE TRIMMER LINE.IT IS ALITTLE HEAVIER AND YOU HAVE TO GET USED TO THE WHIR INSTEAD OF THE WHIPPING SOUND.THIS LINE IS FAR MORE DURABLE THAN ROUND ESPECIALLY WHEN EDGING,FOR THOSE WHO ARE'NT AMATURES..095 WORKS GREAT FOR ME.

10. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I keep my trimmer line in a container with some water in the bottom at all times. I was told some years ago that the line is made with a certain percentage of moisture and when it dries out , it gets brittle and splits easier.

Larry