1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator Magnums for 60" Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 28, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I've been reading about how everyone loves the Gator Magnum blades. I went to Landscapersupply and Greenline Dist. to possibly order some but the OEM # at Greenline differs from the Exmark parts manual. Landscapersupply does not give a cross ref #. My mower is new and I haven't had to sharpen yet so I don't know whether it's a 1/2" or 5/8" hole. Also, neither site says that they are 'Magnum' blades.

Help me out... I want to get the right blades...I want the highest lift, best cutting and best chopping blade I can get...without using doubles. Or do they not work well alone?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a 5/8" hole. I just bought longer bolts to use doubles so I know that they are 5/8" holes. High lift Gators and regular Gators chop the grass nice but they are more prone to leaving a small strip of uncut grass where the blades meet. Regular Exmark high lifts cut smooth and don't leave strips but also leave a long blade of grass on the turf. I am using Gator high lifts and Exmark high lifts as doubles but that isn't the answer either. I have low foil stock blades on order and will try that with the high lift Gators. I guess it's just a matter of experimenting.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure that you are using a solid foil high lift blade. If you are using those blades that have that "U" cut in them just before the foil, then those will leave that funny streak toward the center of your deck.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Landscaper Supply has the Gator Magnum in a 20-1/2" blade with a 5/8" center hole as part number 231724. The Gator Magnum part number is 90-724.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks guys...

Richard, Can you tell me how you came up with those #s. I've looked at the website 3 times now and don't see 'em ........

What part of Maryland are you in?
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the Lazer Z 60" mower uses a 20-1/2" blade with a 5/8" center hole. I looked in my Landscaper Supply catalog and that is the part number for that blade in Gator Magnum Mulchers. The Gator Magnum number my Gravely dealer gave to me. It's the same blade that a lot of 60" mowers use including Gravely and Dixie Chopper.

I'm near Annapolis.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Their website is tough to navigate. Just use the catalog. Also, I believe that the older Lazers used 1/2" center holes. Just so you get the right one. If your Lazer is less than 5 years old then is a 5/8". I run DC blades on my Lazer and found them to be absolutely superior to the stock notched blades. Longer cutting edge and more lift without sacraficing HP.