1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator mulchers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Nov 11, 2002.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I went to my dealer today to order Gator blades. I wanted the regular lift as opposed to the high-lift. My dealer could not find the particular blades that I wanted, part#90-918. The blade is the 18" with 5/8 hole. After he made some calls I was informed that those blades are no longer available, so I had to go with the high-lift baldes. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I was standing in my dealer last week when a guy called needing some regular gators for a 48" and they weren't available for that either. Maybe they are being discontinued. :confused:
  3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, unfortunately, it appears that the regular lift Gators have been replaces with the high lift version ... and you only get two choices in that...High lift or Magnum .... gator is really going down hill.
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

to add a little to this, if you are thinking of running the magnums you will need at least 19hp motor to pull these blades on a 48" deck. they will pull blade tip speed way down..
  5. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

I wonder if this is why i am having so much blow out on my metro. Would the high lifts cause more air flow then the standard gators?

6. KLMlawn

YES !!!!!!
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a new set the other day of the high-lift Gators. I got them through Lesco, so I think they were Silver Streaks, but I'm unsure. The thing is, is that I'd LOVE to find some of the .203 gauge. The ones I have must be the .250 (atleast) and feel like they're made of lead. WAY to heavy for my taste in doubles.
  8. KLMlawn

They probably gave you the Magnums ... too heavy and are a b*tch to get an edge on because they are so thick .. it take forever.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does someone have one of these "highlifts" laying around they could post a pic of??? I've never seen anything with more or less lift than what I run.
  10. KLMlawn

Envy ... I told you in a previous post, you really can't tell by just looking at them, there is a slight difference in the angle of the lift foil where the notches are along the top, but the best way id to look at the numbers ... if they are true Gators, then
    if the last 3 number are 4** - then it is a regular thickness (.203) highlift Gator.
    If the last three number are 7**, then it is a Gator Magnum (.250 thickness) highlift.
    If the last three numbers are 9**, then it is the older regular thickness, regular lift Gator, which from what I have heard and been finding when I have tried to get them, are no longer in production, they have been replaced by the (4**) regular thickness(.203) highlft Gator Blade.