Gator Mulchers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Oct 4, 2004.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, Im seriously considering trying gator mulchers from my 48" Exmark Viking. There are three styles of gators availible. 1. Standard Gator Mulchers. 2. High Lift Gator Mulchers. & 3. Gator magnums, which have a 40% higher lift and are thicker (.203" vs, .250"). I will be running a side discharge and I have a discharge blocker if needed. I was told that you should run with the side discharge open. If I decide to use the discharge blocker, will the grass clump up or will it perform well? All three style gators are availible to me, but which one do you guys think will be best for my application? I do not want to run doubles either, just a single blade per spindle application. 14 hp just isnt cutting it. Im trying to eliminate double cutting as much as possible. I need something that will reduce the size of clippings and not lay them on top of the lawn. Also any good websites to order them from?

Thanks.

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Check the MEG MO blades.

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

MJLs,
    I run the Gator magnums on my Snapper 52" ZTR. I like them a lot, they reduce the clipping size and mulch up the leaves pretty good. Only thing the blades were about a 1/16 of an inch too long, they would clang against each other. But I shaved off a little bit on each end with the bench grinder and now they work like a charm. I don't run doubles either.

Buck

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC likes this.
  4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Up North have you tried the High Lifts as well? Thanks for the post.

5. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I run gator hi-lifts on my Steiner. I like the job they do but I do notice they pull harder than standard lift blades. I have never had the clumping issues using them with side discharge no matter how wet (even in the rain).

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC likes this.
  6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I knew this was coming when I read the title of the thread!!!

Brian :rolleyes:

geogunn likes this.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:rolleyes:

There is only one style of Meg Mo's and thats all you need. Forget those gators. :) :blob3: :blob3:

geogunn likes this.
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

No I haven't, just the magnums. If you try the hi lifts, let us know what you think of them.

Buck

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good thing you weren't disappointed.

considering MEG-MOW is a LAWNSITE SPONSOR it would seem to me that his contribution to this and any other thread would be welcomed.

GEO

10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Thanks for the feedback guys. As soon as I decide which gator blade to try, I will do an update post to let others know what I thought of them. I found a website that I can get gators for like $9 something a blade, so I figure for $35 I'll give it a try. Cant justify $160 for the meg mo system right now, Maybe when Ive gone nutz trying to get rid of the clippings with little sucess Ill fork out the money for a meg-mo system.