Gator Mulching Blades......any good????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Burns, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Does anyone use them?? If so are they any good??

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use them and yes they are very good.I use them mainly in the fall to help with the leaves but some people use them year round.

3. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I might get one for an older mower used as a mulcher, the current blade is 4 years old and has never been sharpened and probably just needs to be replaced. It never has mulched very well.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the gators I have mulch very well, only thing to watch out for is to not try discharging with them, they chop the clippings up so much that they make grass turds. I like medium lifts for wet grass. or doubles (gator underneath a high lift).

5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Use Gators right through the mowing season. I alternate between the Gators and regular blades...don't know why I guess but I like the Gators if the grass is a bit longer, I can get away with cutting and not bagging. Really like them when it comes to spring and fall mowing...leaves, what leaves???

Buck

6. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

I started using them when the leaves were coming down and they are very good. I have kept on using them and also alternate between them and high lift blades. They are used to cut up clippings/leaves/trash/whatever more and into smaller pieces. Work well at their job...

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh No, there's that dang Moooose again!

How are ya Buck?

Blades....try Gator Magnums if ya can, I tried them on my turbo force deck, very nice clean cut, reduced clipping size, but as per all mulch blades, best on dry grass as they spit out clumps on wet grass.

In dry conditions they are a good general purpose blade, good lift too.

Another type to look at is Raptors...from Stens Corp. kinda similar to an Exmark 'wavey' blade, i.e bi level cut edges and notched sail like gators.

8. Terry Rogers

Terry Rogers LawnSite Member

How well would they work on a grasshopper with a grass collection system?
    Do you think you would still get the clumps?
    Thanks for any info.

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a question I can't answer, don't know anything about grasshoppers or collection systems, I only side discharge and mulch mow.

I always thought for grass collection systems high sail blades were the go, but the gator magnums are a high lift mulch blade so 'could' be ok....

raptors....doubt it, more a dedicated mulch blade, the gator would be better as the raptors chop the grass even finer, which wouldn't be desirable I would think.

sorry I can't help.

10. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

They are the best thing to happen to fall cleanups!