Gator mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WalkerMike98, Aug 2, 2008.

1. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Just purchased a exmark LHP 52inch w/mulch kit. I have heard many good things about gator blades. I am wondering how much better these are compared to exmark mulching blades. I know there are different kinds of gator blades but have no idea which ones to purchase. Thanks for your help.

2. WalkerMike98

any help will be appreciated

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

"gators" are made by Oregon. The Imitators have different names. I love my gators, but I don't have an Exmark. My distributor started selling "preditor" blades. I tried them, and the didn't like them.

4. WalkerMike98

thank you for your help

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

If you give it some time...or do a search...you may get (find) more detailed opinions

6. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

I love the gators for leaves in the fall, but not for bahaia. They didn't cut as well for me on my scag.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Gator blades with my Quick 36 with the mulch plate installed doesn't cut well at all. Lots of stingers for me. Mainly cool season grasses here. Standard Hi-lift with mulch plate cut very well on the Quick 36

I use my Gator with side discharge only on lots that have marginal grass and many weeds.

8. WalkerMike98

bump,bump,bump,bump,bump

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

The opinions of those who live in your region are the ones that will matter the most for your climate and grasses.
    Around here, Gators are great for grinding up dry leaves in Nov/Dec. They are not the greatest with anything wet...leaves or grass.
    Hope this helps...:)