Gator question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not run Gators all year? Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks
    Jim

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Yes, due to the shape of the upper foil which causes the clippings to be recut, the airflow is not quite the same and some mowers don't get quite as clean cut as the standard solid foil blades. If you get a good cut, no problem with running them all the time.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Gator Magnums (thicker and higher lift than regular Gators) at different times of the year. In heavy spring growth or heavy crabgrass I use 2 high lift Dixie blades and 1 Gator Mag on the discharge. When the grass slows down a bit I will use 3 Gator Mags. During leaf season I double up with Gator Mags.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run gators all year - they keep my decks clean underneath and mow quite well - I mow with JD 455's and have both the 54" and 60" decks. The best mowing job is accomplished with the gator on top and the dixie chopper 60" blade on the bottom of my 60" however. The gator seats on the JD centering nubbin, and the dixie chopper blade has a 5/8" hole that allows the bolt to center it. The Flex-Deck I have on mows well on its own accord, although I sometimes double it with 2 gators.

Thanks, Brad