Gator Rator vs. JRCO Hooker Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cblackwe, Oct 14, 2003.

1. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Looking for pros and cons to these pieces of equipment. Going to purchase one of them for next spring's work. Users please respond w/ you tales.............:D

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have never used them, but I think if you look at the specs, you'll find that you get more holes per area with the Gator, and there have been a few on here that said they have had trouble with penetration with the JRCO, but I later heard that JRCO has done some design changes to the angles so the tines push into the ground better. I own and love some of the JRCO equipment, but this is really sort of comparing apples to oranges. For one thing, the JRCO tines are not only smaller, so you are displacing less soil by width, but they also do not penetrate nearly the depth of the Gator. What's even MORE to this, and most importantly, is that you do not have nearly as many tines per sq. area penetrating the ground with the JRCO. If you do a search, you will hear from some that have the JRCO, and one thing that you will hear rather consistently on, is that they have to go over the props twice to achieve adequate results. Even then, remember the tine depth thing. Again, this is merely by specification observation.

3. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Does anyone use these machines???????????? Really trying to find out about them:D

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have'nt tried either of the aerators you mentioned, but I can highly reccommend the Lesco 48" tow behind. Pulled with ZTR it does a great job. Also can be used with a 3 pt hitch. Add weight according to the compaction of the soil and it pulls some very good plugs.