1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator, Standard or Double Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crew Cut Lawncare, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Crew Cut Lawncare

Crew Cut Lawncare LawnSite Member

In tall,wet or thick grass which blades work the best? I use gator blades in the spring and fall. During the summer I use standard blades. But under extreme conditions I still get clumping of grass even with the gators. I hear alot of talk about running doubles. Can someone explain to me how you do this. (maybe some pictures also) I have an Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 horsepower. I am looking for an answer to avoid double cutting in some circumstances when the grass is long.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The how to is as simple as putting on two blades per spindle instead of one, in a + pattern. That's it. I use either 2 gator max or 1 gator max and 1 high lift reg. I can cut 3 to 4 inches of rain soaked grass with no clumping and no under deck buildup. I also use a Scag 36" with a mulching kit. Type grass most predominate in my area is St. Aug. Also, make certain your blades are SHARP.
    Do some searches on this site for 'doubles',
    'blades', etc. this question has been asked and answered MANY times before, lots of opinions and advise, free.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you keep the doubles from spinning together over time, like two spoons in a drawer?
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put on MEG MO blades and you won't have all those problems and very little double cutting.
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We just tighten the blades as if we were putting on singles, and they don't move. Unless... you hit something. The only time the blades move is if you hit a rock or something similar.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ok ok ok ....I give in....after a couple years of hearing about this subject, I, the Stupid Mower Guy, am going to put on his first set of "d's" this week(can't bring myself to say that word 'cause it makes my ears bleed we talk about it so much here on LS)

will put them on the Z 23 Kaw and the 36" viking....I'll report back assuming I dont shear my legs off or worse...ha....and there goes the fuel per hour from bad to worse...oh well .....machines guzzling fuel is nothing new since I own Ford trucks.....