1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gator twist line ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Grass Guy, May 8, 2008.

1. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I got a spool of the new Gator Twisted string trimmer line this week,does anyone else use it ? I have a Stihl FS250 and cut 8 yards today and used 3 spools of .095 ( 2- 10' sections per spool) This stuff cuts really nice but appears to be using a whole lot faster than other .095 line ive used.Anyone else had experience with this stuff. Mostly trimming today around trees and stuff, maybe one or two chain link fences and a privacy fence.
  2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I don't know about the Gator line but shindiawa sells some twisted line, it's supposed to be quieter which it is but it is double strand =.095 It too disapeared quickly due to the fact it's thinner line. Needless to say, I don't use it anymore. It came w/ the trimmer.I prefer the echo square cut line, lasts a long time.
  3. M&M Mowing

M&M Mowing LawnSite Member

I hate the twisted gator line compared to the square. But it is noticeably quiter.
  4. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Who cares if it's quieter.
    It's a noisy occupation to begin with, and line noise ain't nothin' compared to all the other loud gear/equipment we need/ use to get the job done.:laugh:
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Being quiet isn't my main concern when picking out a trimmer line either.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If thats the orange gator line from home depo ,to me it aint worht a crap. The Echo line is pretty good stuff . But i like the Green square from Shindaiwa cuts like a champ and last pretty long. Ive heard the husky line from lowes was pretty decent / i dont no thou. As far as noise who cares dont you were Ear protection ??
  7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it has to be the worst $20 I have spent in a while.

I hate this line but I really hate the idea of buying more and having a spool sitting in the garage doing nothing.

I busted my spool of JD I-Beam (Kawasaki) .095 line, I ran right over it. So I ordered the extreme line spool from trimmerracks.com and bought that crap orange line from HD.
  8. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I to bought the orange crap And will be using shindaiwa green line from now on What junk.
  9. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

echo square and husqvarna platinum line is all i have ever used and all i will use
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried just about every line. The best stuff hands down is Shakesphere .105 twisted line -- it's the same as the old Sufix Megatwist. Try it! Quiet. SHARP cut. Lasts a long time. And you can run a long width of it if you're guard is off. (I use the Edgit)