Gatorade for crews? who buys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hermanator, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Was wondering how you guys do the drinks for your crews. i"m not talking the solo operator with 1 or 2 guys helping, but the guys that have crews out.

we pay pretty good and so far have tried to resist to buy the Gatorade. Guys are whining and saying we should pay for it? complain about having to buy there own ice also.

I'm, not trying to be cheap, but we pay them pretty darn good for our area and i kinda feel if they want extra's, they should buy them? am i a tight a$$ or being reasonable?

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Thats all I use put four or five scoops of the powder into a five gal jugg, a bag of ice and your all set. I just fell better after drinking a cup or two than just plain water.
  3. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Not really in your situation but what about buying a used ice machine for the shop and mounting a water jug on the back of trucks. They can fill every morning and should last all day. I dont think water is unreasonable, but they can buy Gatorade powder if they want that. Takes an investment to start but not alot to operate. Just a thought.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My old job, we ran 7 or 8 mowing crews, my boss finally invested in an icemaker. A 5 gallon jug for each truck, crew leader responsible for filling with ice and water each morning.

At one point he was buying Gatorade mix after a guy had heat exhaustion but got away from that.
  5. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

we supply the 5 gallon jug and the water if they want, but that darn gatorade is exspensive!
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you pay them good they tell them to buy there own drinks of there choice.JMO:waving:
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should provide all your crews with a big cooler and ice water. If they want Gatorade then they can bring that themselves. But you for sure need to provide them with cold water and plenty of it.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If they are hitting the customers daughter do you supply the protection?
    No, let them buy their own gatorade. Buy a ice machine though.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just water here!(5gallon cooler). Gatorade takes too long for the body to absorb unless you start drinking it an hour before you go out. Cold water is the best thing for you by far. But to answer your question, you provide the mowers, fuel and all the other equipment why should you provide what they drink? Next it will be breakfast and lunch. I had a guy go down with heat stroke last week and all he was drinking was Gatorade so how effective is it really?

UBRKIFIX LawnSite Member

are they great workers?are they worth what you pay them?good help is HARD to find.hate loose them over a cold drink.just my 2 cent worth good luck