Gators... anybody else notice This??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The new Magnum Gators have great vacuum, but the "sail" bent part of the blade begins very early. After only about 5 sharpenings, you are into the sail. Then, if you put the blade on a flat surface you will notice the end is not level. After a while the end will be a good 1/8" or more high. So, you either have throw them away, or start to see a poor cut, since the ends are cutting higher and higher the longer you sharpen........

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont haveum, but its good to know, info.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! I hadn't noticed this either, but it's something to take into consideration. This is definitely one of the technicals,- something that no one else would really know about, if not informed.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

By the time you sharpen back that far, what is your effective blade length???

Mine are trashed way before I get that far.

I have a set of Magnum Gators, and they do start the lift sooner, but I'd get more than 5 sharpenings out of them. I see what you mean, but by the time your edge base gets back that far, your effective blade lenght is severely shortened, and now you have a crappy cutting blade that cuts even crappier.