gators leaving grass down the middle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajy, Sep 12, 2001.

1. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

i put gator blades on my commercial 21 inch snappers and after i cut a path, i notice a strip of uncut grass running down the center of my path. has anyone else had this problem? please help.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

are you pushing the mower too fast? are the blades sharp?

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I had the exact same problem with my mower when I first got it!
    In my case the middle blade was out of balance. In your case (i take it you bought NEW ones) I don't know. Check the balance. Make sure they are good and sharp. Inspect the underside of the deck to see if there are any foreign objects stuck in there. And double check the SIZE of the blades. Maybe one is too small!!!

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

MATTHEW
    He has it on a 21" mower, so there is only 1 blade.

It is odd that it would be in the middle.

5. ajy

ajy LawnSite Member

that's whats so odd about it. now, my dealer didn't have a blade in stock that was exactly 21" so i got one that was something like 20 5/8". i don't know if that makes any difference. i tried cutting a little slower today but thats hard to do when you have a certain number of jobs to do. the blade is sharp so what else is thers. the teeth on the back side of the gators are not supposed to be sharp are they?

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

cant think of but one thing. your deck is wrong somehow
    in the middle front,not alowing the front edge or tip of the blade to cut in one place. by the way if you put your other blades back on id be interested if that made it cut right again.

7. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you put a 20 5/8 blade on a mower designed froa 21 inch blade then your blade is 3/8 inch short, and will leave a little bit of grass, unless you overlap your cuts to compensate for the blade being short.

On my trim mower I run the wheels in the the wheel tracks that I just made so if I was you Id put the wheel tracks from the strip I just mowed to the inside of the wheels. That should fix your problem.

Jim

8. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

No, the teeth part of the blade is not supposed to be sharpened - it is only to direct clippings back around to be hit by the blade again. Is it pretty tough, heavy grass? Maybe the stuff is clumping up, causing the blades to miss part of it.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

ajy,

First of all, Gator's in general do not cut nearly as good as an OEM blade. There just simply isn't enough air foil to create lift.

Second, it is very important that the replacement (Gator) blade be exactly the same length (blade tip to blade tip) as the OEM blade you are replacing. The blade lift wing to cutting chamber baffle dimension must be kept as small as possible to ensure proper lift/suction.

Third, many of todays 21" push mowers utilize a wavey or bent mulching type blade that actually lowers the cutting surface lower than the blade mounting surface. If you then switched to a straight "Gator" blade, you are essentially raising your cutting height which would give you a poorer cut.

Fourth, many of todays push mowers do not allow for throttle adjustment. EPA emissions, noise requirements, safety, all contribute to lower RPM's somewhere in the area of 3000 to 3400 RPM's.

I am personally looking for a blade for my LawnBoy that has more lift than the OEM blade. LawnBoy actually cuts the lift wing??? thus lessening the lift. I have trouble cutting at the 3" setting and get a decent cut. I can cut like a dream all day at 2" !

10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

there is the possabilty of the output shaft being bent.. you should be getting some viberation out of it though. i have at one time bent one and never did get any vibes.. worth looking into though