Gators, Meg-Mo's or Raptors on a Deere 7-Iron Deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here running Gators, Meg-mo's or Raptors on a Deere 7-Iron Deck? If so, how do you like them? Did you have to do anything special to install or use them?

My 777 with a 60" 7-Iron deck is coming in next week and I'm thinking seriously about upgrading the blades from day one. This will be used side discharge only (at least for now) and I want to shred the grass and be able to cut stalky clover clean if need be.

What would you recommend? I know the factory blades do a great job based on my demo experiences. Is a blade upgrade (with one of the brands I've listed) worth considering?

2. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Steve,
    I have a 757 with the 60" deck. The Gators do a nice job. I have put them on a few times for new, overgrown accounts that I am cutting for the first time. Your mower should come with a set of factory high lift blades. IMO, you will not find anything that does a better job than these for everyday use. My dealer also stocks a medium lift blade for this deck. I have a couple of sets but have not used them yet. The factory blades are of much better quality than the aftermarket stuff that I have seen. I have not tried the Meg-mo's because I have not had a need to. This deck does everything I need it to do in all conditions without them. I think the high lifts and a couple of sets of Gators around will do you just fine.

Scooter

3. Steve1

Scooter - thanks for the reply. I really liked the cut on the demo units I tested and they had the factory blades on them. (I demo'd a 60"/757 twice and a 72"/777.)

I am just wondering about the others I've read so much about (Gators, etc) and whether they would be worth the cost to put them on from day one or not.

Thanks again.

4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I run gators on my 7 Iron deck and they do a much better job of chopping the grass to smaller particles than the stock high lifts. They do some minor clumping on side discharge, but not bad and only when the grass has grow a lot since the last cutting. I got them online for much cheaper than from the dealer. About $8.00 a blade and they are the same thicker blade as the stock ones.

5. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the 7 iron deck, but we just installed Gators on our LT155 38" deck. Works really nice and gives a great quality cut. I'm interested to see the results when Fall hits and we have to collect leaves.

Right now, the stock high lifts are sharp and ready to go if needed.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

With meg mo blades you don't have to catch leaves.

7. Steve1

Does Meg-Mo offer blades for the 7-Iron deck (60" width)?

8. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to investigate the Meg-Mo's thoroughly before going too full tilt on them. There seems to be a fair amount of discontent from users of them. I'm going to avoid them, especially at the price they sell for.

9. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mind mulching the leaves until the last few cuts of the year when we collect them all. Save a lot of extra work and as long as the leaves are shredded enough, it's a great compost for the turf... again, providing it's not too thick.

But, I'm always looking for more efficient ways to work smarter, not harder.

10. Steve1

Yeah, I've read some posts about them. That's why I posted here - to see if what others think about them.

I liked what you wrote about the gators and am considering them as well although I'll most likely leave the stock high-lifts on for now. That is, unless someone has a real convincing reason(s) to switch. :)