Gators on top and bottom for doubles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, May 6, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys use gators for both of your blade choices? I have a 61" chariot and the stock high lift marbanes and a set of gators were a bit too much on the motor i think. Grass dispersal was excellent but a bit much drag. I cut last week with just the gators which didnt impress me a whole lot after using the double combo. It didnt mulch quite as well and didnt shoot out the clippings nearly as far, but that was a no brainer. Any way i was thinking of adding another set of gators and using double gators. It would mulch better and give me a little more lift without adding the full drag of my stock high lifts.....any thoughts?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have tried double gators, not impressed except for leaves. On grass, a regular and a gator works good. I ran double highlifts on a 20 HP Magnum Kohler on a 60" deck and it handled it. I run a highlift and a gator on the 22 HP also and have for many hours. Your 25 Hp should handle it with ease.

3. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I recently tried a standard lift on the top and a gator on the bottom. This combo works really well on my Hustler Shortcut 48" with a 20hp Kohler. I tried two high lifts when the grass was really growing fast a few weeks back. It worked great for clearing the deck but it did put a strain on the engine.

4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Eric the only real problem i had was the motor to deck belt started slipping when i hit grass that was a little on the heavy side. I tightened the belt when i took the blades off so i havent used the combo since. Im gonna put htem back on and try them.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You said: I have a 61" chariot and the stock high lift marbanes and a set of gators were a bit too much on the motor i think.

You didn't mention the belt was slipping in the first post. If you have the belt adjusted correctly, you should not have a problem at all. If it was slipping with 2 blades, it had to be slipping with one also. You probably just didn't hear it like you would with doubles on.

I sure like the belt from the motor to the deck that came with the diesel Chopper. It is a C width belt. It is a C158, that thing is huge and I can't slip it. :)

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

crs off subject but post a little info on your hustler
    demode one this wk and was impressed.

7. crs

crs LawnSite Member

AWM
    Go look at your thread. I allready responded

8. I run a gator and regular lift or gator and high lift combo on my XW2500 DC. Have had no problems with these. I keep a check on the engine to deck belt to make sure it is adjusted right. I agree with Eric, I like the double gators in leaves, just wear a dust mask or you will digging caked up leaf dust out of you nose for days.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a factory blade on the bottom and a Gator Magnum on top of my DC. This works great. I was using Gator regulars on the top and bottom of my Exmark but the lift just wasn't there. It would cut everything ok and the discharge was good but the final product just wasn't as good as the DC. I put the factory blade on the bottom and a Gator regular on top and it looks much better now.