1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gators vs. doubles (any combo)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Sep 10, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i was talking to two reps from wright today and mentioned that i was considering running doubles on a stander. i was told that using a single super high lift gators would do the same thing if not work better. so for those who are in the know, what's your opinion?
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

My Wright dealer told me about them late last fall but I haven't talked to anyone that has tried them. I posted about them here in another thread. I will be a ginuea pig & try them as soon as the leaves start falling & report back. I saw them & they look like they will work well. There is about the same height in the lift as a regular blade, then the mulched section starts above that. So it seems like it will provide a good vacuum to get the clippings into the deck & then the gators can do their job of shredding them more, hopefully without feeling like a helicopter like normal high lifts do LOL .
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Where would you find them?

My GD dealer is out of the pic. for good.

JThomas? Land. Supply? Wal-Mart? Any Body shop at Riggs in Northern IN?
  4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't seen them at any of the aftermarket parts places. So maybe it is a Wright OEM part??
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i do know the mulching blade sold by exmark ,puts a cut dn with good dispersal ,open chute,that just about matches doubles. had to go that rt when the grass
    started growing so fast ,needed mowing bout every other day. here in stanley co.
    doubles just too rough on my machine.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If these are the "magnum" gators, then I've already used these as "doubles". Used as doubles, they turn the leaves into basically dry mulch, which I just blow under any evergreen and it disappears.

DEERETEE LawnSite Member
    from CHICAGO

NEW PREDATOR Mulching blades at JOHN DEERE :) :)
  8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old Scag 61 SSZ with 22 Kohler. High lifts put a hurt on RPM. Gators were messy. Finally last year after reading all this blade stuff here I put a regular lift blade on the discharge side and a gator on the middle and far side. It's the best it has ever cut.