Gator's VS Exmark Mulching Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

For mulching leaves this fall I am debating between gators and the exmark mulching blades that came with my mulch kit. I am going to install the mulch kit and use it on almost all of my properties for the leaves. So I guess I was just wondering which blades to throw on my Lazer Z HP 52" to turn those leaves to dust!

2. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Had a much better result from the Exmark........on Centipede, St. Augustine and Zosia.
    Raymond

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Esby,

Since you probably dont have any Centipede or St Augustine grass up north, I found a combination of both Exmarks wavy mulcher paired with a Gator works very good for making "bug dust" out of the leaves.

I wish we had "Warm Season Grasses" up north. I have a few Zoysia lawns, and boy are they easy to cut! No stringers, no weeds, looks like a carpet, but look like crap for the other 9 1/2 months of the year!

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

When using single blades, I have tried the gator mulching blades with the micro mulch kit and they don`t do very well, the eXmark mulching blades work great.:blob3:

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When I looked at a picture of a Toro mulching blade, I thought it looked just like a Gator blade. What is the difference between those two blades? How about the Exmark Mulching blade, how does it differ or is it the same as the Toro blade?

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

esby--you are in MN? you oughta be finding out which is best very soon!

can you plow with that lazer?

GEO

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The eXmark mulching blades don't have the "teeth" like the gator and toro blades do. They look like a standard mulching blade.

8. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for the great responses! We are going to stick with the "wavy" exmark mulching blade when the leaves start to drop, which is actually begining as we speak. No plow for the Lazer, but it would be an idea!!-but probably not

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The eXmark blade is made especially for the correct airflow. Which is one of the keys to the entire micro system. Gators will mess up that airflow. I tried. I have a set of gators I use with the ultravac.

10. casey

casey Guest

65hoss,
    Did you try doubles with Exmark mulchers & gators or straight gators? Just put doubles on & still unsure if the gators with the Exmark mulchers is an improvement. Thought the gators might help with thick leaf covering.