GD Chariot 25HP 52'' ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Jul 26, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Demoed a 52'" 25HP Chariot last week and am very impressed. It was mowing 5 1/2" growth at speed with excellent discharge distance, no stringers, good comfort and just really good all round. I probably going to pick it up next week. I want to know what kind of down time people have experienced with these machines and how much it cost you?

2. chariot1964

chariot1964 LawnSite Member

Hey pinnacle, I have a GD Chariot 52" that is 3yrs old, other than routine problems occuring such as pulleys going bad, replacing belts, ergo, routine maintenance, no problems.

3. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

WE too have a chariot jr. Have idler arn bushings go bad. I am adding grease zerts to the idler ams . We are replacing the idler pullies as they are a little bent, making the deck belt shake. Replacing the hydro pump arms cuz the control linkage holes are wore oblong creating earatic movement to where you dont want to mow any lawn. The mower is 4 years old. As to getting parts, some are not to bad . Most of time 3 days , as to replacing the current parts above, it has been 8 working days. I called supplier, going to be 4 more days. Still like the mower. Love the cut & spread of clippings. Gr8 in fall clean-ups. Cover discharge shute & grind leaves to a powder . Very user friendly machine. When we replaced the hydro pumps, the cost was up there at $380.00 apiece and labor was around $400.00 each. But I change them myself now. Quite the savings.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

How many hydro pumps have you had to change and at how many hours??????

5. chariot1964

I my self have not had to yet, and i am at 600hrs

6. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

First hydro pump (right side) leaked fluid out during the winter months at 180 hrs , which was covered under warranty. The 2nd went out (left side) at about 380 hrs. due to oil leakage again. Cost was around $800.00 labor & parts. Left side was changed at 415 hrs. by myself, as we thought it was the pump again as the machine was jerky during starting, stopping & turning.........but........found out afterwards that the pump arms, where the linkages go in, were wore out. I think these pump problems could be avoided if they would install air fans to move the heat during usage.

7. chariot1964

sounds like i have been lucky so far, i am thinking about adding another one, not sure if i am going back to GD yet, but i will definitely get a little bigger deck