1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Australian Mower Man, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Australian Mower Man

Australian Mower Man LawnSite Member

G'Day My new American Friends!
    I run a mowing business on the South Coast Of New South Wales, Australia.
    I have just purchased a Exmark Navigator after 3 Walkers. Have I made the right choice?
    Also, I have a Grasshopper 227 and have rebuilt the Mandrels 3 times in 1100 hours, is this normal in the Northern Hemisphere?
    Look forward to conversing with everybody.
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Is it funny that when i read your post, I did it in my head with an Australian accent?
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Mandrels, do you mean spindles?
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I did the same thing.LOL

Yes, you can't go wrong with the exmark. Thanks for buying american.:usflag:

What type of grass grows there?
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Y did you leave walker if they have been good to you? and lots of people up here run exmark scag. But in all honesty there just names most mowers all come wit the same basic set up blades drive and power
  6. Australian Mower Man

Australian Mower Man LawnSite Member

G'day and thanks for replying
    I left Walker because of the price, $27000 for a walker 23hp here, 18,000 for an Exmark Navigator. BIG difference. Most common grass is Kikuyu, a native of South Africa, Buffalo and Couch grass. Love Kikuyu as it grows like mad!
    Where I live we have an off season of about 8 weeks, July August September.
    No snow!
    Yes I meant spindles, we call them Mandrels (dont know why), do you blokes have any trouble with them?
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know guys that put up to 5,000 hrs on diesel Grasshoppers and I never heard of them complaining about any spindle problems. Are you using a high temperature grease for the bearings? I'm not sure about grasshopper but many ZTR's recommend different grease for the spindles (mandrels?). I know my Scag does. At 18,000 to 19,000 feet per minute blade speed the bearings really need all the protection you can give them.

We are really glad to have you!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the site.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think that Kikuyu might be contributing to the problem. I tried some of that here as an alternative that might winter over with some color and do a little better in the shade than our Bermuda. That was some nasty thick grass, like Fescu on steroids. We sprayed and killed it before it got too far along.

I would think with the value of the dollar being so low your prices would be getting better for our stuff. Welcome to lawnsite.
  10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! How's the weather down there? A little chilly up here still. :waving: