gear box troubles on scag ztr's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Aug 2, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I heard there were some gear box issues on these units. Is it only on the ones with driveshafts like turf tiger and sabre tooth. I am interested in the wildcat and want to make sure that this is not an issue. I hear these boxes are prone to failure and cost 400. Thanks

2. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have not heard any issues with them but Scag is not real popular here. I do know a guy who has an old Encore with shaft drive and has had no issues with his machine. His Encore is from back in the late 90's.

3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Dont worry about SCAG has fixed the problem. :)

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Never knew they had a problem, I for one never had a problem, very reliable.

5. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

If you purchase the STC or SW the gear box is a mute issue. Both are direct belt drive, which I've been very impressed with. You loose power but from my experience I don't really look forward to mowing fields 2 feet high with my ZTR's. Seriously my STC's do great being direct drive. I go through a deck belt a year on each of my mowers.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They came out with an aftermarket kit that was basically a fabricated L plate that reinforced the box when it went. The mechanics at the dealers were having a bit of trouble with these so Scag developed these to quicken the repair process. This came straight from a mechanic I know at a major local dealer.