1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gear Caddy wearing grooves in trimmer shafts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, May 25, 2002.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Jungle Jim Gear Caddy for my trimmers mounted on my trailer. I've had it in use for 4 years now. I believe that there is either a flaw in the equipment or maybe my equipment is manufactured wrong. The hardware of the Gear Caddy has worn a small groove in the shafts of my trimmers. I noticed this damage shortly after it occured. I remedied the situation by placing plastic tubing over the area on my trimmers to insulate it from the metal. Unfortunately, the shaft of my trimmer has broken at the area where the groove was worn into it. This happened three years after the intitial damage. Has anyone else using the Gear Caddy had any similar problems?
  2. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Last year I had the same problem. I bought some velcro and put the soft side on the trimmer trap. It seems to be working fine. I noticed the problem one morning and drove to my first job, about 15miles on rough roads. When I got there the shaft was broken and it cost me almost $100 to get it fixed. Also, it was a new trimmer. Hope this helps. LOL...
  3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

lmao was string trimming a yard a couple years ago and my motor fell off i was using a rack a freind welded together shaft only cost me 15 dollars ended up going thru 2 i found a spray or can of stuff at home depot that puts a rubber coating on it and it solved the prob i dont have that rack anymore but i still coat rack in my enclosed
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

**** tip**** this is easy to fix... get you a piece of 1 inch heater hose, cut it at about 3 inches long, slice it open down the side, place it around the shaft were the trimmer rides in the rack, get 3 heavy duty zip ties to secure hose, problem soleved...
  5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

you could use water pipe insulation(foam rubber) to help with this problem.
  6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I guess what I'm looking for is some ammunition to go to my dealer with to see if he will help with some of the repair costs.
    Afterall, he was the one that sold me the Gear Caddy. If it was a bad design and damaged my equipment shouldn't he be partially responsible for the cost of the repair?
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

id look for the rubber spray it comes in many colors the aluminum shafts are only about 17 dollars and 3 minutes to swap not much cost there id ask dealer if he has any shafts in there equip graveyard mine had several i was given at no cost
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i don't see where your dealer should be responsible for any damage done to your trimmers from the gear caddy....especially after four years of use.

did you wash and wax it and your trimmers routinely to keep dirt and debris from assisting in the wear?

did you keep the original coating in "near new" condition?

i don't see how it can be anyones fault but yours.

as with any piece of equipment, maintenance is the key to longevity.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I never di understand that, why they designed those racks like that, so your trimmers just bounce around, getting beat to deatth, flip around spewing gas everywhere, and are never held securely. My racks, I built myself, hold the trimmers tight in U shaped cradles, that are larger at the motor end, to fit, and smaller down by the head, to hold it tightly. They are actually J shaped, with the short end welded to the square tubing to form a U. To cushion the trimmer, I just used some pieces of garden hose. Works great. I have no money into these racks (2 that hold 2 trimmers) at all. They are made out of old awning supports. The kind that had those sort of "S" shaped scroll braces. I wish I knew how to post pics on here, I would put them on.
  10. I was just going to post similar.

I have trimmertraps and don't have or ever heard of this problem.

I have a buddy with your kind and he has lost 2 weed eater driving down the road cause the rack can open on it's own.