Gear-drive and Impact

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BAGPIRATE, May 9, 2008.

1. BAGPIRATE

BAGPIRATE LawnSite Member

This is my first time posting on here. And Noticed while looking through the forum that their is a bias towards Gear-Driven over Impacts. I have been working with irrigation since i was 6 designing and installing sprinkler systems since i was 13, not professionally of course, just for family and friends and my self. I have always used Maxi/Mini Paws, and have had much success with them. only replaced a few. I have a system with 14 heads and have never had to do anything with them. I am not a professional as you all are. so Id like to know why the bias towards Gears over impacts.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Impacts operate from an open canister, into which anything can enter and cause trouble. I'd even get covers broken off the top of Maxipaws when a twig would partially fall into the case, and the next mowing would have the cover run over, with the uneven stress cracking one of the plastic cover-securing tabs.

3. BAGPIRATE

Well that makes sense. thanks for a reply

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Rotors have pretty much become the norm, they are quiet & efficient.
    When you've posted a few times, send me your E-adress via PM. My wife's
    uncle owns the KOA in Flagstaff & we spend the fall & some of the
    winter there, could get together & :drinkup: & tell sprinkler lies.
    Boy, Prescott is growing, I bet business is good.

5. Wet_Boots

Nothing too wrong with the impact mechanisms per se - simple as water-driven clockworks. I'd rank a brass impact head on a riser (specifically a 3/4-inch ag head) in the top tier of reliability.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I did a system years ago when gear-drives first came out, told the client
    about how quiet they were, he said, "I grew up on a farm and went to
    sleep with the sound of "chich chich chich". He got brass impacts.

7. BAGPIRATE

That was true a year ago. Prescott growth has pretty much come to a hault sadly. you can barely give away a house. their is houses under construction that have been pretty much been abondoned in the process. its sad really. Complete opposite of two years ago

8. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Impact heads are hands down the best head ever made. Also the biggest pain in the a@$#%&**)*&%$ due to requiring constant maintenance. If they are not properly maintained they are useless. Also have a scar on my index finger from years of cleaning them out and being cut.

9. Wet_Boots

Now tell us how much you loved removing brass nozzles from brass impact heads, within the confines of the case.

10. I like you already. We'll compare scars sometime. Like that scene in JAWS.