Gear drive oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cut-rite, Mar 20, 2001.

1. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark walk behind with the peerless 5 spd. gear box. I put 90 weight oil in the box and it ran out everywhere - (box isnt sealed). Can anyone tell me what to use for lube? I got it used and didnt get a book. Thanks, Brad

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

brad I asked the same question a while back and got no response. I think you just fill them up to the lower level of the jackshaft and that keeps them lubed. otherwise Idunno.

GEO

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Maybe it's like a gearbox on a string trimmer, you fill them with grease. I don't know this for a fact, it is just a guess since I do not have W/B mowers.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You're supposed to pack them with Bentonite grease but if that not available just the same you grease that you grease the rest of the mower with.

5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Richard's right, use bentonite grease. It's made specifically for these trannys.

6. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

We use "00" Grease and put silicone on to seal it. 00 Grease provides better lubrication in my opinion.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

We use 00 in our gearcases of our old gang mowers too,it works well,and is thick enough to keep from running out everywhere,yet will flow.