1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gear Drive ok to get started?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 13, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am buying my first mower - EXMARK" 48" metro or HP? I only have a few lawns and want to know if i will regret not getting a hydro. I just can't justify or afford one just starting out. I have 4 good size lawns, and this will just be a part time side job for me. THANKS
  2. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

It will do fine for you.
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If its raining and you need to go up a hill, that is one time the hydro/belt drive question will make you doubt your choice. Ive had my MetroHP for two years and only had about three times with a wet belt problem that made me curse.

The reverse assist can get you in trouble if you descend deck first into a trap.

I have no regrets.

There are alot of point-counterpoint debates on this previously discussed. Type: "hydro belt" in the search field for more testimonials.

Good luck, I think you will like the Metro.
  4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my guess:

You'll have many full-time professional "do it for the bread and butter" guys on here swear for hydros, and I'm sure they are great machines. Pricey, but perform 100% in all conditions.

If you have 4 jobs currently, and you said you're doing this part time, then I would think you'd do fine with the gear drive being that I would think you won't be doing toooo much cutting in a driving rain cause the job 'has to get done'. You'd put it off until later, or the next day, I would assume.

For the added expense, I would get a gear drive, and work on performing those 4 jobs 100% all the time so that you start earning a profit as soon as possible..

Now if you're thinking of going full time sometime soon, then you would really have to ponder would you wind up buying a gear drive, only to be annoyed and buy a hydro 4 months later??

Good luck.
  5. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Starting out on a limited budget with only 4 accounts it would be fine. Acess your long range plans and make the decision based upon that as well as your financial situation.

Keep in mind that a hydro can save up to 25% time and I guarantee in a few years you will go the hydro route and be amazed. Not to mention carpul tunnel syndrome!

We use only hydrostatic mowers now and will never ever go back! The best equipment maintained accordingly will never do you wrong.
  6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I think you made the right choice.
    Starting out part time and only having a few lawns will be just fine with a belt drive. When you get more customers and make some money a new hydro won't be a problem. Your 48 belt drive will then make a great back up mower.
  7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I think that if your just part time right now and plan on staying the same size go with the gear, it'll be fine. BUT, if you see yourself becoming a big deal, go with the hydro, it'll up your productivity.