1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gear Drive or Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeycats, Feb 9, 2005.

1. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

I am looking for a walkbehind and I am not sure what the differrence is exactly between these two types. Can anyone explain? and reccomend?
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your other post says you used a Bunton 48" mower last season. Why are you posing this question now? You need to explain the reason for your question.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

A gear drive walk behind uses belts for the main drive and a hydro walk use hydraulic wheel motors for the main drive. Both machines use a belt to drive the cutter deck. We have a Toro belt drive and will never buy another belt drive. There is a lot of physical effort involved in steering, no reverse and belts tend to slip when it is wet or raining. Hydros are more expensive but worth the price over the belt for the increase productivity and maneuverability.
  4. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Go Hydro. I have a grevely Gear and will never have another gear drive....the maintenance cost and time is way more than Hydro.
  5. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Hydro belt is not ztrn hydro is
  6. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

If I were you, and if you can afford it I would go with a Hyrdo! I know you will be happy with it many years to come. Spend the extra money now. Demo as many as you can and the one that works best for you is the one to buy.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if you are buying new and don't mind paying nearly twice the price, hydro is the way to go.

GEO :)
  8. joeycats

joeycats LawnSite Member

I do have the Bunton Gear drive but I never have used a hydro. I am getting the scag swzu wb hydro 48".
  9. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I bought my first Scag hydro w/b last year and I'll never go back to belt.

If you can afford it you will be so much better off in the long run.
  10. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

If you plan on doing only residential properties under 10,000 sf would it matter if you went hydro or belt? I heard somewhere that hydros are not good for small properties.