Gear Drive Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petekief, Jun 9, 2006.

1. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I need a mower to do ditch banks - i have and use a '94 Cub Cadet hydro that will need replaceing sometime - do gear drives hold going across slopes??? - i have never owned one - i am thinking about the quick 36 but have seen mixed reviews here - for 2,500 plus or minus i can get a Lesco gear drive 48" - or the better quick 36 - the 36 might be a more versitile tool - if gear drives tend to nose dive down slopes that will decide it - if they hold a good line then???? how do they handle????
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

there is no difference in either mower you are looking at. they are both belt drive. i personally would never buy a belt drive walk behind. with a hydro you can get the down hill wheel going faster than the up hill wheel keeping the machine from nosing down hill. you also have instant reverse.

3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have a 48 lesco gear drive, and it holds slopes just fine.
  4. gottamow

gottamow LawnSite Member

It's easier to hold my Toro belt drive 48" wb w/T bar on a steep bank than my Quick 36. I do though really like my Quick 36 for getting in gated yards, in tight places, for getting up on islands in parking lots, and it's a great mulcher. It's a real work horse, but I honestly have to say it takes some wrestling with on a bank.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The day you convince this forum that the Toro belt-drive is at least as good or better (not to mention cheaper) than all the other horsecrap every Lco on here has wasted their money on, let me know. I've been telling them for over a year, but on and on they go with their other brands, how and why I will never know other than I am glad more than a few people over the years engraved it in my brain: NEVER buy another walk-behind commercial mower that is not made by Toro.

Why do folks think that even if you have cash in hand, when you walk in a dealership and are ready to buy a Toro, you have to wait at least a month before you can walk out with it> They don't have this wait on other brands, that's how they get you.
  6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Both my Bob-Cat WB and Toro Proline WB mowers, both belt drive hold hills just fine! Belt drives are less expensive to operate, simpler to maintain, and IMO, more durable machines!
  7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lesco 48" belt drive and a 54" Hydro. The belt drive holds on slpoes better hands down. The lighter weight of the belt drive mower makes it less likely to slide sideways and it is easier to go straight down hill also, just apply the brakes lightly. The hydro weighs alot more, so once it starts to slide, its all over! As mentioned above, you can use reverse to slow it down, but this can cause rutting at times. Just my .02 cents
  8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Why are belt drives less expensive to operate,simpler too maintain and more durable than a hydro unit?
  9. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i think hes talkin about the fact that anyone can understand how a belt drive operates.....unlike complex hydro systems.....idk..
  10. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

how does the toro t bar system work? - can you describe it? -