Gear I'm thinking about starting with

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smullen, Jul 20, 2005.

1. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

So, I've been tossing around the idea of starting up for myself... Most becasue I am tired of working for someone else and have always wanted to run my own gig...

As I've posted before, I worked for an LCO for 4 + years in the past. Also I have two close friends that have each ran their own operations for 5+ years and are doing pretty decent... I have worked here and there for them on the side, when I wanted Extra cash and they had extra work..

Here is a list of the gear I'm really looking at starting with...

32" Encore ProSeries WB (will fit in most backyards)
    (generic pushmower for yards a WB won't fit)
    Stihl Trimmer FS 110 R
    Stihl Blower, either Backpack Blower BR 600 or Handheld BG 85

The reason I'm kinda set on the above is, I've used both Encore and Stihl in the past in a commerical capacity and got along with them...

The truck I'd be using till I can get smething bigger is 96 GMC Sonoma Extended Cab 4.3L...

I know my towing capacity is limited, so, I'll get a smaller trailer with a drop gate for now... Till I can afford a bigger truck and a bigger mower...

I'm saving my cash up now and should be able to get the above gear for bout 3Grand...

I want to save up and pay for everything cash and keep my debt down.... Trying not to do the credit game except for emergencys....

Now I need to think of a name and come up with some marketing ideas... I plan to do this part time, till I get a decent customer base or something happens at my current job..

2. atv220chris

atv220chris LawnSite Member

is your sonoma 2wd or 4

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Good luck!

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

payupYoure smart to pay cash for stuff...Grow your business slow and steady...payments suck! especially if we it a slowdown.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is 3 years old

6. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

two and a half

7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

the original poster hasn't posted since 05

wonder if he made it