Gear or Hydro Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr DanO, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

I am just starting to look into buying my first mower and was wondering what I would be better off starting with. A gear drive or hydro? I like the idea of a floating deck over a fixed one. Also has anybody been using the Honda 4 stroke trimmers, if so how are they?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Dano, If you can afford it, go with a hydro. You wont regret it. Belt drives have their place, I know because I have one. They are easier on the budget, but harder on the body. To turn a belt drive without divoting the turf you kind of have to learn to fake a zero turn by nuetral locking one side of the mower and pulling backward on that side, while letting the other side power around. I know this sounds a little complicated, but with practice can be easily mastered.

3. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

Thanks , I was looking at the hydro's from differant dealers then the toro dealer told me I should go with the belt drive. He said it would do a better job, and just as ez to run. Where all the others said to go with the hydro.

4. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

The only salesman who would try to sell you a belt drive either a. has never mowed or b. has some stock he desperatly needs to get rid of. Even if you can't afford a hydro find a way to get one anyway. They can be mastered but anyone who says they are as easy as hydros has something to sell.

5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Get the hydro if you can afford it, belts suck.

6. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

maybe the dealer has a better profit margin in the belt drive?

I use hydros myself, and the only belt drive ive had i hated! in the mornings it would slip allot....

but i know a few other guys that haven't really had to many probs. with them...

but i would go for the hydro!

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

In the last belt vs. hydro thread (the one a few weeks ago, not the other day) if I remember right, no eXmark belt drives had any slipping belts from wet conditions. (incase someone can only afford a belt drive, and thinks there would be such a prob. in that area)
    Hyrdos are nice.

8. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

i must have had the only metro that slipped:rolleyes:

9. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I guess so. Was surprised, in a way, more didn't. After all the other's didn't though, now I'm surprized your's did.

10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from a belt to hydro and whoa..... Hydro is so much more productive. Now i have never used a gear drive so i can't compare a hydro to that but there is no comparison from a belt to a hydro.