gear or hydro walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr DanO, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

:confused: Which is a better mower for all around use a gear drive or a hydro? I have been told by three of the dealers that I have been talking to that I should go with the hydro , now another dealer says to go with the gear drive.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Only you can decide which is better, for you. All comes down to personal preference. Be prepared for many votes for both.
    I would say hydro, if you have alot of hills. Just my opinion. I like both. Try both if you can. That choice, is the one you have to live with.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I swear by hydro (but then again thats me) some people prefer gear. I find the hydro a lot easier to use for a whole day at a time though.

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

As an after thought, I would rather have a hydro/ bull rider type (fixed) sulkie than a belt/ Jungle Wheels as far as reversing.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Your best bet is to go back to those dealers and ask to demo different mowers. Then YOU can decide what is best for you.

All you're going to get here is a different opnion from just about everybody. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
    I know what I prefer, but that won't really help you much.

Plus there is a pretty good price difference between the two, so your budget may be the deciding factor.

Good luck.

6. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I have been favoring the hydro just seems like it would be less work. Also easier to operate.

7. metro-hp_48

from TN

Good luck with either, and let us know which you get. (have a good season)

8. Tomprevette

Tomprevette LawnSite Member

We have had great success with the Lesco 48" and 52" Hydro's in seven years running them we have had very few problems. The guys that have worked with other gear units swear that the hydro's are faster and better. If you don't mind the extra expense it seems that they have better resale and there are no belts to slip when it's wet.:D

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Gear vs. hydro is hardly a matter of personal preference. There is nothing to prefer about a gear drive.

This is solely a matter of personal finances.

10. metro-hp_48

from TN

Hmmmm that would prob. be an opinion, Casey.