1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gear or Hydro??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rross, Oct 15, 2002.

1. rross

rross LawnSite Member

What are everyone's preferences on Gear and Hydro walk behinds, all I use are the big hydro zero turns. I've never even set hand on a walk behind, just looing for suggestions before I go down and start giving them all the test!!!!

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you run a gear drive and then switch to a hydro you will never go back to a gear. I have a lesco 48" hydro and a scag 48" gear. I was planning on keeping the gear as a backup, but after using it for a sclaping job the other day and seeing the real differnce it will be in the paper next week up for sale.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have all gear drive mowers. They are reliable and easy to fix, but they do beat you up. If you cut a lot of hills you are doing a good deal of fighting the brakes. I'm going to be getting a hydro real soon.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

A-men - - - - - Once hydro you will never go back - [​IMG]

36x-between post and fence-bbq02-2.jpg
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you mean you have never set hand on a walk behind . cant mow everything with a z unless you only take jobs where you would never need a WB . I think that pretty much limits yourself
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Harry D
    I Only Had To Not Take One Job since I Went all Lazers. I Love the Smaller trailers and no walkbehineds.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In 8 years, we have never had a gear drive WB...all hydros. But I did try one once just to see what it was like.

Nope, not for me thank you.
  8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

i had two 36' gravely walks that were gear drive and by the end of the day my hands would be hurting. I did get some strong forearms though.:D now i have just one Gravely and my Lazer HP and i sure like to sit down now and take it easy. My guys say i have gained a few pounds because i sit so much. That is probably true. They call my Lazer "the throne" b/c im the boss and my lazy @$$ just sits on it and watches them work. I LOVE MY EXMARK!!
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Rross...Im in the same boat as you...the Z cant go places I need to go...but I gag eveytime I price these 36/48 hydros...man thats allot of money for those compared to what I spent for my hp52..oh well it is what it is
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My first w/b was a gear, and I've never really liked it. The second w/b I got was a hydro and I'll never get another gear drive w/b again.