GEAR OR HYDRO ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rosco2350, Sep 4, 2000.

1. rosco2350

rosco2350 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about buying a new mower next year and was wondering if I should buy a gear or a hydro model? Which works faster and what will last longer?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro works faster and lasts longer ,it is more expensive and draws more HP to run it though.It is well worth it

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get a hydro. You won't regret it.

4. dhicks

dhicks Member

Get a hydro. Mo' money but worth it IMHO. I have Hustler Hydro WB and I am pleased with it especially on hills.

5. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the hydro....... much faster at everything, don't have to stop to shift into reverse, no wet belt slipping, just go at your own pace.

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

IF YOUR INTO THIS TO MAKE MONEY, GET THE HYDRO. NO WASTED TIME SHIFTNG OR PULLING YOUR GUTS OUT TO BACK OUT OF A CORNER. ALSO CONSIDER A RIDER, I WAS GOING TO GET A WB UNTIL I TRIED OUT A WALKER MOWER. I'M GLAD I BOUGHT THE RIDER. I'M NOT BURNT OUT BY THE END OF THE DAY. VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING AFTER WORK, INSTEAD OF FLOPPING DOWN ON THE COUCH DOG-ASS TIRED. THE CHOICE IS YOURS OF COARSE. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE.
    MOWMAN

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This seems to be the eternal question but the eternal answer is - give them both a try.
    I am a dedicated hydro man as well as a rider man but I have both (but they are both hydros).

Test drive is the key. Some dealers will let you some will not. Then you find the manufacturers rep and test one. You sir are putting out big bucks to a buy a mower and you better be happy with your purchase.
    Its too late once you sign the papers - just like a car. If the dont let you test one find a different one. Good Luck.