Gear reduction on rototiller? Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got to replace an engine we blew up on an old sears rototiller. I can get a Briggs 5hp IC for about $200 and It seems like a perfect fit.
    Here's my question. The old engine doesn't appear to have a gear reduction/output ratio reduction. However, a Briggs 5hp IC with a gear reduction is about $50 more and the catalog says "great for tillers". What do you all think? Should I replace it with a non ratio reduction output 5hp as appears to be on there now OR spend the extra for the other engine? Thanks for the advice in advance.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me I would put the original spec motor back on it. Gear reduction would lower the RPM but increase the torque. Was there a problem with performance before?
  3. Jason Pallas

yeah - that's what I was thinking. There's never been any problem with performance before - the thing always ran great! But the motor was old - actually I think I can remember my grandfather tilling the garden with it back in the mid 70s. When it finally gave out, I re-built it several times but it finally died when part of the flywheel cracked. IT was old !!! It even had the old points and condensor ignition system!
  4. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

Jason, I would go with the closest match you can find to replace the old engine. Gear reduction will give awesome torque, but would also make the tiller painfully slow and you would also have to solve some belt and engine mounting position problems as well. A lot of the older B&S egines are no longer available. But, they have Inteks and Commerical I/C that will bolt right up. I'd go with the 5hp I/C that you mentioned, just make sure that the crankshaft is the right size. Can't beat $200 either.:D Good Luck,
  5. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Some engines that are advertised for tiller engines don't always have a gear reduction. What some had is a double shaft coming out of the engine. One was for a reverse for the tines. The main PTO was for tilling. If the engine that you want to buy has 2 shafts coming out you can just use the main PTO for your tiller and it will work fine.
  6. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

My Granddad's tiller has an old Briggs 5 horse and there's no reduction box on that, it has an old belt/pulley drive going from the motor, to a gearbox hooked up to a chain drive. That thing was made in the 80's, kind of rickety to me.

7. Jason Pallas

Thanks for all the help - your advice helped me decide on bolting up an new 5.5hp B&S Inteck. Let ya know how it works when we thaw out.

Thanks again