Gears slipping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnny v, May 19, 2008.

1. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

I have a 14hp kawa on a 48 inch bunton about 6 years old... My first and second gear are slipping bad... 3rd and up run good... What should I do?:cry:

2. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey johnny, may sound like a stupid question but, have you checked and/or changed the tranny fluid lately? sounds to me like it is at least low and/or possibly burnt (from lack of fluid). if the fluid gets low enough the trans will "over" heat and tear up the main brass pinion gear.

on the (right) side of the trans is the check level plug... if you open it and no gear oil comes out add some. on top of trans is the fill... add gear oil until it begins to flow out of the check opening. when adding fluid check what is coming out... if you see metal flakes the brass main bearing is bad... just fluid you may be good to go. reinstall the plug and test it out.

if after adding the correct amount of fluid it is still a problem, the trans is "smoked". if so, a new trans shouldn't cost much more than $150-200... if you install it yourself. hope this may have helped. good luck. have a good one.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a little trick with the Tecumsehs, this works for ALL of them:

Pick ONE gear, put the selector there and NEVER move it!
    Doesn't matter which one but it helps if it's the one you're most comfortable using, most folks select 3rd, 4th or 5th for this.
    Then from there on out you always use your belts to adjust speed, stay OUT of situations where you'd have to use reverse and by all means don't EVER shift that joker.

And this way your trans love you long time.