Geese problems

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by Dollar Spot, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Fishing line strung around the pond at 6" and 12" will keep them away. I've done it for many years with great success.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If your golfers can't handle blind approach shots, then they are wusses....:)

you coudl always put the wire about 1-2 feet inside the edgeof the lake and havehte posts in the water...

When I worked for TGLC we hired a company who had border collies to chase away the geese at the AOL coplex in VA by the time you spray chemicals and such it wqorked out to be the same price as out labor and chems

3. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Contact Community Lawn Care. They have the most effective solution I have seen. Good stuff! communitylawncare.com

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Some golf courses around here are using a service that uses trained border collies to chase the geese away! One course even has an official goose dog that lives on the golf course. This is the most effective way that I have seen.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

Marc, A blind approach shot is usually consider a recovery shot from a bad tee shot or bad second shot. I've never seen upright obstructions directly in front of the green.

The geese are flying today. The counts at about 50 so far today. I think we'll break the dogs out.

6. MarcSmith

I'll be in Pinehurst in a few weeks. I'll take some pics for ya.....
    in the mean time...
    http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/photogallery.html check out #13 green approach...

I am playing Tobacco Road, Talamore, and The Pit... 6 rounds in 3 days....

there are about 4-5 Blind shots at Tobacco road....not for the faint of heart....

7. Dollar Spot

I looked at the website and didn't see a single hole blocked by tall grasses. In fact you can see every hole form the approach. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

8. Dollar Spot

By tall grasses I thought you were talking about something like zebra grass 6-8' tall or giant reed grass 8-10' tall. I couldn't put that in front of a green.

9. MarcSmith

sorry i was in CA over the weekend.

no nothing that big. infact nothing over 3-4' feet....

what you can't se in the tobabcco road is the elevation change as well.

10. Dollar Spot

The coyotes came in the mail today and I'll be putting them out today. I hope the golfers leave them alone, I could see someone taking them home and shooting a few arrows through them.