1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Geese problems

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by Dollar Spot, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

Grass, We would have a couple of problems with a fishing line grid on the lakes.
    1. We have a diver go into the lakes for golf balls and he is concerned about getting tangled up in the lines.
    2. The owners and employees use the lakes for recreation.....fishing ect.
    3. We wired the perimeter of the lakes and the golfers continuously tore down the wires, so our expectations would be the same for the fishing line grid. It became a time problem replacing and repairing the wires all the time.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You're not putting a line in a grid pattern, it is strung only around the perimeter. We had the same thing with ball divers. They merely had to step over the line. Same for fishing.

3. Dollar Spot

We used the line around the perimeter and the geese just jumped over it. It slowed them down at first but they got accustom to it. It was 12" high. The golfers would tear it down because it interfered with their swing. They will actually pull the stakes out of the ground and leave them laying there:hammerhead: ! If I ran a double or triple line the golfers would be even harder on it.

In a corporate park setting it would work well along with some other things, but it hasn't here.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Come get your geese or we will drop a NUKE-YOU-LAR bomb on you:laugh:

5. Dollar Spot

I like it.

6. 57 Chevy

57 Chevy LawnSite Member

Ihave used the product Flight control Pus for the past two seasons and we have had great results. It's exspensive but it works.

7. Grassmechanic

LOL. Sounds like you have more of a golfer problem than a goose problem. Don't they believe in the "free drop" rule?:laugh:

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the foot wedge myself....
    Seriously though. I play on several golf leagues we play Strict rules...Very few places for a freebie drop, especially around a hazzard. I've learned the hardway..

9. Grassmechanic

Marc - it would come under the "ground under construction" rule.

BTW - I know what you mean about some of those "strict rule" leagues. I used to find clubs in trees and bags in the ponds after those leagues were finished, LOL.

10. Dollar Spot

If it's in a water hazard they have the right to take a swing if they want and that's why the wires get tore up. I saw a goose humping one of my fake coyotes this morning!