1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Geese Repellant?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1BadHawk, Mar 8, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I had a call today from our first potential seasonal contract customer. Anyhow, she asked me if I heard of anything that can be sprayed on her lawn to keep the golf course geese away.

I told her Ive never heard of anything, but I could ask around for her, and possibly give her a referral.

Is there sucha thing?
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that I know of.

There are plenty of golf courses out there that could use some of this kind of stuff. Geese are infamous for tearing up the grass on golf courses.
  3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Here in Mn there are several products available unfortunately I can't remember there names. The products are available at Lesco here so I am assuming they are available where you are. I have had limited success with them but i haven't used them that often. The products are suppose to make the grass taste bad to the geese. Hope this helps.
  4. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

There is a product called flight control.
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Flight control basicaly makes teh grass "look" unapealingto the geese, washes off over time and mowing.....geese have vision like dogs, but only see in one spectrum....get a border collie or two, or a R/C car or boat....I had sucess with using one of the blow up pool alligators on a clients pond here in VA. I just let it move around the pond on its own. Set up a prinkler on a timer, or plant tall grasses or shrubs around the edge of the pond. the geese will stay away as they think there could be predators lying in wait in the tall grass. How about using some tree stakes and string up some 50lb test monofilament string and form a "grid" over the top of the lake. Geese are more apt to land and take off from unobstructed water rather than open land

just some ideas
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I read somewhere that shotguns are a great way of controlling the geese population. :D
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

they are good a controlling geese, but for the obvious reason I negelected to mention that :) that being said, if you can somehow kill one and not get screamed at by all of the PETA and Hippie Tree Huggers out there I imagine one dead goose laying on the ground would deter future geese....I wonder if stuff like Coyote Urine or Scat would make a difference in repelling geese. Maybe the odor of a possible predator would keep them away. I know if I put freshly cut human hair in and around my day lillies, the deer stay away....

I still think a R/C car is the way to go..Imagine that bill to a client. 5 hours shoeing geese with a R/C Car @ $60 an hour....:)
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to say a nice 12 gauge would work.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You can probably scatter em pretty good too with a AK47 I bet.