Gehl CTL 60

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Aug 4, 2005.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Demoed a Gehl CTL 60 today with AC and cab....very nice machine. My main concern lies with the hand controls.

The hand controls were just like the CAT controls. They were very smooth and perhaps a bit too responsive. I am used to the stiff hand controls on my JD 320 where you have to use some effort to move the machine. With the Gehl you barely have to touch the controls and it responds. I had a tough time staying straight but I beleive seat time would fix that.

All in all it is a VERY nice machine, but with a 42k asking price, I'm just not sure it's worth 20k more than what I already have.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

No worries, I was the same way right after we bought our 216, seemed like I couldn't keep the machine going straight. A few hours and you'll have it down like a pro and wondered why you ever bothered with those stiff Deere controls. BTW, did you not get an excavator at all now that you're going for a CTL? Just curious. Take it easy!
  3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Just finalized teh deal on the JD 35D mini. I REALLY love that machine. I rented it for three months and have zero regrets. Now that I have the mini, I am seriously considering upgrading from a skid steer to a CTL and the Gehl dealer is really working hard to get my business.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear. Put those machines to work, we have about 150 hours on our 303 so far. Great money maker, works more doing outside work than our 216, best purchase we've made.
  5. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

I know for me the first couple times I ran a CAT ssl I had to kind of 'rethink' how I did things, having been used to the two stick machines. Often I'd do something, then go to back up to see the loader moving....instinct had me pulling back on both controls. I found that I forced myself to take my hand off the loader stick except for when I needed to use it, this way I got used to the fact that I only needed to use one hand to drive. (Kind of reprogrammed myself I guess.) Now that I'm used to the CAT controls, I really like them, love the fact you don't have to stop driving just to scratch an itch, amongst other things.
  6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have had limited skidsteer experience in my life ,but I do feel more comfortable with the Pilot control than the oars in most skidsteers.
    The Takeuchi,Gehl,Mustang CTL are all the same.The Takeuchi small loader TL130 sells for 37,800 bucks plus tax with enclosed cab,AC,Heat.

How did you like the CTL60?
    Also did you know that the Gehls bucket at peak height is as far foward as the Bobcats setup that is designed too go foward as you lift.
    Also it is odd that the CTL60 engine is only 66 hp but makes almost the same torque and at 200 rpm lower than the CTL70 .
    The engine is also over 200 cubic inches.
  7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

The reason for the added reach is because the CTL60 is physically a larger machine; it's nine inches longer than the T180/190. Because of this, the loader arms don't travel in a complete arc; at their maximum height, they're still moving backward. Also, the Takeuchi machines have less of a dump angle.

No doubt Takeuchi built three great beasts... :eek: