Gel filled tires

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hackalot, Feb 11, 2009.

1. hackalot

hackalot LawnSite Member

Is anybody using gel filled tires on their commercial mowers? I do a lot of cutting/bushogging in areas with sharp thorns(wild rose bushes and scrub locust trees) and am considering using the following product on my chevron mower tires. http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing/quikgel.htm

Would appreciate comments from anyone with experience on this.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting... I didn't see any info on the site about how you get it IN your tires. Who puts it in? Is it something you can buy and do yourself, or is it something that has to be done at a tire shop that carries the product?

3. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

You can also have them foamed filled, but beware, you will have one hell of a stiff bumpy ride, I don't know about the gel, but I know the foam is that way, and it is expensive too

4. hackalot

hackalot LawnSite Member

I've got a call into the company to get more details. Their website has an installation brochure for the Reseal product, (similar to Slime) and installed the same way (remove the core and pump it in).

I think on the foams and gels you may have to have it done at a dealer.

On their foam product they have 4 different formulations depending on your tire application. The product appears to be far superior to Slime.

I'm more concerned with maintaining traction than ride, my machine has dually chevrons and is used in relatively low speed, severe slope applications.

superslopemaster.jpg

superslopemaster.jpg

5. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Gempler's. They sell several grades of "Ultra-Seal" liquid, which is kinda like slime. You can pump it into the (deflated) tires yourself.

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I buy no flat casters and never look back. It has not noticably affected the ride but i do run a ferris with a suspension. No more flats for me.

7. hackalot

hackalot LawnSite Member

wow, checked out 1 place they wanted $200 a tire for foam, settled on an ultraseal for $20 per tire. This place does a lot of tires for log skidders and skid steers.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I looked into having foam filled in my tires. It was expensive, and it added a lot of weight to the tire.

9. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

This looks like the same stuff I had a sample of years ago. If it is, here's what I know about it.

It's a chewing gum like coating that is spun around the inside of the tire.

Not heavy and doesn't cause a hard ride like foam or solid fill.

You can run your psi at whatever you want because it is a 1/4" self sealing coating.

You have to buy new tires from the place that installs the sealer with the coating applied.

I remember being very interested at the time. But for the cost we could plug a lot of holes. And of course it does nothing for a slice. For the right application it seemed like really cool stuff.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

The new foam rides just like air. I have foam filled and cannot tell the difference from air filled (other than no flats).