Gender question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassmasterdawn, Apr 8, 2006.

1. grassmasterdawn

grassmasterdawn LawnSite Member

I notice that I'm probably the only female on here, so I have to ask this since I'm just starting out in the business...would a man be more inclined or less inclined to pay to have a woman mow his lawn? I guess that might also depend on if I was a hot babe or not. I'm not.

I think when someone talks to me on the phone, they just assume that I'm the secretary. Then when I'm the one who pulls up with the mower on the trailer, they're kind of thrown for a loop.

I just wanted to get a male point of view on if it's going to be more difficult for me to sell lawn services because some people might be focused on my gender and not on my skill.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Not to be hurtful at all. But if I were an an able body man I would be embarrassed to have a woman doing my lawn. Now if I were over 65, disabled, or had allergies, maybe I would. However, I would be more inclined to have a woman design a landscape than a man because most females give more attention to detail.

4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Dear ONLY GIRL on this SITE,
    I started my own Landscaping business about 6 yrs. ago and I am a female who stands 5'1 1/2" tall and weigh about 200lbs and have three small kids. And let me tell you I have run into a lot of problems because of my gender but nothing I could not work around and my business is doing great. The main thing you have to remember is that no matter what anyone else thinks, if you are capable of doing the job you will have to take the time to read your customer and come up with the right response that will relay that job ability and if you still don't get the job you don't want to work with that kind of small minded person anyway.
    Now my husband has joined my business and one would think I don't exsist anymore but it is nice to take a break from the front lines, but when I need to I still step up and do my thing. ( Putting the -ITCH on as my husband likes to say) GOOD LUCK and HANG in THERE it can work out.
    Terri Troup
    Jasper, Ga.
    e-mail: GardenSolutions@msn.com

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I would have no problem with a lady mowing my lawn and we have several lady members on lawnsite also. One of our best landscapers was a young lady. Her work was second to none, could make a lawn and flower bed look like a milliom bucks. BTW, welcome to LS.

6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do a pro job what does it matter? If an able bodied man is going to pay someone to mow his lawn, what should he care if it is a man or woman?

Is this what you feel you should do? Go for it.

There are other women here also. Some are incognedo, sheshovel is the most visable with her massive arms which are as big as my entire body, :laugh:

Tim

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

It's not the quality of the job that is the barrier, it's the perseption of a woman doing what an able body man could do. I'm talking reality vs. ability

Reality: A man is more comfortable hiring a man to do phyisical labor, and in most cases a woman will hire a man to do physical labor. They have more confidence in a man doing that type of work even though being a man does not ensure a quality job.

Ability: Many women can do just as good a job or better but will never attain the same status in the publics eye with regard to physically challenging labor. (reality)

And yes I would agree that sheshovel could probably tip a pickup truck on it's side. lol

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I truly believe being female has helped me make my business what it is today..I think some male clients hire me just to see if I can perform the work.Some just like the fact that a woman is out there running her own game.Females hire me because they like to support other women in business and I have had clients tell me that is why they chose me over another landscaper.You don't have to work like a man to do a mans work.You can work like a woman and be just as productive.Course..I suppose it is all in your perception of how a woman can work opposed to how a man can work..I was raise with no such differences to compare..I have always worked like I work and would probably perform the same regardless of my sex.I see nothing that will hold you back besides the difference in YOUR mind.

9. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think men will feel a little funny about dealing with a woman but as long as you act in a professional manner and appear to know what your doing there shouldn't be a problem. I'm working in the Middle River and Dundalk area of Maryland but I'm new to the business myself so what do I know.

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you were meaning.:)

Tim