Generac 33HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bagit, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I'd like to hear from a few users of the Generac 33hp. My choice of mowers is boiling down to two brands. The Bobcat Predator Pro 61" w/33hp Generac and a Gravely Pro Turn 260 w/27hp Kawi FX.

Help me out if you can.

2. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Tons of power. Have never had it bog down even when cutting thick tall graas. Fairly good on fuel. I've had a 27 hp Kawasaki in the past and this has a lot more power.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 2 33 hp they are a horse that likes gas
    Did hear that Briggs bought the Generac company

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have never had that engine but last season looked into buying the Predator Pro with the 33 on it. It's a bit hard to find info on them but I did find a good bit here after wading through a lot of posts.

What I found, and keep in mind that this is all basically heresay since I have no direct knowledge of Generac engines, is that for the most part people really like them. They run at a higher rpm so you get a bit more top speed out of the machine...this is apparently because generators typically run at a higher rpm and that's primarily what Generac makes engines for. The blade tip speed is the same though (different pulley). What people really seem to praise about the engines is that they are very well governed so they handle loads with very little change in rpms, very even running and handle loads really well (another requirment of a generator). Considering that machines with this engine really fly, that's a real plus. I'm speculating that if you've got some large wide open areas to mow it would be a very productive mower/engine combo.

About the only negatives I found about them from my research is that they are not very well known/very common so you may have to look a bit harder for a shop should it need repairs, and resale value may suffer a bit.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Briggs only bought the small generator/small engine part of the Generac company. These are the cheap generators you see for sale at places like Northern Tool, H.D. and Lowes. The engines used in ZRT's are still built by Generac.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The Generac Standby Generator only comes with a Briggs engine now which stinks as I love the generac motor.

Even using a 27 horse generac on a 62" Dixie Chopper is great for power in tough grass and I'd only assume that the 33 would be even better. The only time the 27 has any problems is when the X-blades are on the machine in the spring time when the grass is the thickest.

8. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

I've got a dealer close by that carries Dixie Chopper brand that uses the 33 Generac, so repairs may not be a problem. The Gravely mower is a bit cheaper through a different dealer though. If some contracts I bid on recently are awarded to me I'm going to need a bigger mower.

Thanks for the input so far.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Dixie Choppers with the 33hp Generacs on them. They are great engines with a ton of torque. I have one that has 2800 hours on it with no problems at all. (Proper maintenance is key)

10. DanManofStihl

DanManofStihl LawnSite Member

I used to run my welder off of the 1,000 cc 15,000 watt generac generators I don't remember what h/p it was but that thing ran great even in the coldest temp or the most blistering heat. That thing sucked down about 2 or 3 gallons of fuel an hour running at max cap though it was the only issue with it. Seemed liked everytime I would start it I would be dumping 10 gallons of fuel in it. I have seen them with 3,000 hours on them on job sites still purring though.