Generac Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 3, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of luck has been had with Generac engines. I was very impressed with the 33 on the new Bobcat. It sounded and seemed more responsive than the 37 Kawasaki on the Cub Tank. That is the first Generac I have ever run on a mower, any knowledge about this engine?
  2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

No first-hand experience, but I have asked a couple of dealers who sell ZTRs that use them about reliability and parts availability. They both said the same thing: every bit as reliable as Kawasaki or Kohler, with parts easily and quickly available. In fact one dealer said that they had more problems with Kohler, and longer parts wait times for Kawasaki.

Although relatively a new player in the L&G equipment arena, I know Generac has been around a long time in the power generation industry, and is highly thought of and repected there. I also heard/read that the Briggs Vanguard series is of Generac design.
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Check in your paticular area. We are still trying to get setup properly with them. Honestly I do not plan to ever sell their engine on a mower or any other piece of equipment. If something comes in with their engine on it and its an engine related problem I tell them to take it somewhere else.
  4. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Why Pugsly ?
  5. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Have it on our tank-m72 - and actually love it. Acording to their website(generac) the 33 hp engine has a power band that will actually increase up to 39 hp under load.
  6. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

I have a 27hp Generac on my Dixie and i haven't had any problems with it yet, just needs a little oil every now.
  7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard reports of over 2 G.P.H. on a hard working 72 inch machine... No Thanks.. A local guy has one on a 60 inch- Extreme DC What a waste of fossil fuels.. I probably get twice the Sq. ft. cut per gallon with my 28/66..
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We also have the 27hp on a 72" TANK and it has plenty of power and has over 1000 hrs on it.:cool2:
  9. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've attended a sales seminar on Generac generators, and I've toured the factory. They seem to know a lot about engines, but I don't know how they would hold up in a mowing application.

Generac buys larger engines and modifies them for generator use (Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, etc.) They will go so far as to change pistons, heads, cams, etc. to optimize them for constant speed generator operation, or to meet desired emissions standards.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

One thing it hates it rain, but so do I. one thing it loves is gas, but you would be suprise on the footage it cuts in a day. I think we have close to 1300 hours on it though.