Generac Power?

Discussion in 'Encore Equipment' started by Green King, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Just currious to see if you were by chance going to offer the 35hp gererac engine on the prowler for next year. I currently run a diesel prowler and love the machine but I have a major acerage bid that I am working on and from the prices my dealer has given me I can buy 3 generacs for the price of 2 diesel machines. My dealer who I trust completely says the 33hp generac will do anything that my diesel will and then some. He told me the only thing I would miss would be the fuel economy which he said is decent for the production and the ride is a little stiffer than the diesel. Any comments.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I would think long and hard befor buying anything with a Generac engine on it.
    Just where will you find parts or service for that brand? Dealers are few and far between. There are no aftermarket parts sources yet, as far as I know.
    While they may prove to be good engines, their thirst for fuel has been widely reported on other websites. The diesel is a much better choice, or even one of the new big block B&S engines. At least there are places to get them fixed, and you do not have to pull a fuel tanker behind the mower.

3. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I quess we have the exception here. The dealer that green king is talking about stocks parts and has sold several of the generac engines on the prowlers. I personally know of a company with who runs them and the 27hp l/c kawasaki engines on the 72" prowlers. They claim that the generac burns less fuel than the kawasaki does on there crews.

Green King give Eco-Lawn a call they are mowing the other section of stuff that I mow which is over 1200 acres weekly! When I talked to them last week they were planning of buying four more of the generec 72" mowers in the spring to replace some other makes that they had been running.

4. Green King

rebel

It is funny you mention the guys from eco lawn. I actually had lunch with them today. You are right they are sold on the generac engines. I asked them about fuel they said they are burning about 1.5 gal. per. hour which they said is what there Kawasaki burns the diffrence they said is the generac cuts about 10-15% more grass per hour. I asked them if they would buy more of them and they said they are going to buy some in the spring to replace some Dixe Choppers with the generac engines. I asked why and they said for several reasons but one big one is the dixie burns almost 3 gal. per. hour. I do not know why there would be such a diffrence in the mowers but that is what they claimed.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Do you know that the founder/owners of Generac sold out to some N.Y. investment group. Not a good sign. Those investment house bean counters always are after one thing, huge increases in profits. I bet within 2 or 3 years, all production will be moved overseas and the U.S. plants will be closed.

6. Green King

I did not know that and you are probably right about production being moved over seas. Too bad if it happens. I like to buy american as much as I can but if they move I quess I would have to look at a kohler.

7. Green King

I quess I will have to buy foreign since Encore does not use Kohler.